Wednesday, May 07, 2008

6 weeks for recovery...

6 weeks for recovery...

I thought that 6 weeks was a LONG time for a recovery period. I'm a quick healer, I'll bounce back quicker. Well, when a week to the day after my surgery I asked my husband to take me for a walk around Target to look at a deck box and pick up a few things, I figured that would be a good walk. The doctor said I should be walking around a little each day increasing the duration with each walk. This is the theory of the recovery cycle for a hysterectomy patient's post-operative health.

Theory & practice do not always mesh. It is totally different to be walking around in the house than it is to be in a store. Being out in public and walking like I was 90 years old, was a little strange. Too many people was the first thing that threw me. The second is the one thing they don't tell you about in the hospital when you check out -- the bloated feeling after surgery and the back pain that comes with it. BLOATED BLOATED BLOATED!!! WOW, I know how those large Macy's Thanksgiving balloons feel when they are at top form in the early morning of the 4th Thursday each November.

So, when we got home, I crawled into bed, took a mega pain killer, and SLEPT!!! Who knew that TARGET would get me in the end...I shopped until I dropped. Now, I drop after about 10 minutes. Maybe tomorrow will be a longer day! So, 6 weeks now seems like a reasonable amount of time for recovery. It takes a lot for me to learn how to not push myself...

No comments: