Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Time is a gift. It just takes time to realize what a gift it can be...

Time is a gift. It just takes time to realize what a gift it can be...

I'm finally ready to accept the fact that healing and the time I have left to do it before going back to work are not inconveniences. When I went to the doctor's office today, the nurse reminded me (as many others have) that my body has been through a trauma with the abdominal surgery. I need to be reminded of that again and again - kind of pounding it into my addled brain - that the trauma my body experienced needs time to heal. Unfortunately, my brain keeps thinking (during my non-tired periods) that I am better already. My brain doesn't know what it is talking about. Come on, my brain is the one that let me push through and not realize that Charlie had taken up residence draining my iron and setting up the conditions that necessitated the hysterectomy.

So, I am working on doing a better job of listening to my body rather than my mind. The body seems to know that I need to rest and relax. That doesn't mean that I won't get frustrated with the tiredness. The doctor said that the periods of energy and then exhaustion would lengthen (energy) and lessen (exhaustion) with time. TIME TIME TIME. I still have a few weeks before going back to work, so I'm taking it slowly and savoring the quiet and the need to take short naps during the day. As Olivia Newton John used to sing, " Let me hear your body talk, your body talk, Let me hear your body talk"...

No comments: