Saturday, May 10, 2008

Soccer Mom...

Soccer Mom...


OK, I love that kid of mine. And, I love going to his soccer games. I enjoy how well the kids play together. I enjoy hanging out with the other parents. I enjoy cheering on the Maroon Mayhem (last year it was the Green Goblins). There is something so simple and so satisfying about the whole experience.


AJ being in perpetual motion is definitely a draw. Being able to capture it with the digital camera is also a joy and a challenge. For every 20 pics I click, I'm lucky to get one that isn't of AJ's back or blury. I'm in awe of his physical abilities - the dexterity, the speed, and the utter joy of running around and enhancing his skills with each game is miraculous for me. I have no ability to move the way he does. I get to sit back and enjoy as people comment on how good he is - he's a natural. The best comment to date came from one of the grandfathers of a girl on AJ's team. AJ and Sarah were in kindergarten together and this is the third season they've played soccer on the same team (her dad is one of the coaches - and a very good one at that). Anyhow, Sarah's grandfather turned to us during a rainy game last season and said, "AJ is so fast that he can fall in a puddle and not get wet!". Too funny!!! It is great to say - that's my kid!

A nice realization is that sitting back and watching someone else move around can be ultimately satisfying and fulfilling - no guilt, no calories, no strain and definitely a FANTASTIC day-before Mother's Day gift to me -- watching AJ play!

No comments: